Headteacher for St. Mary and St Patrick’s Primary School, Maesteg
‘We are a Catholic Family, Learning Together’
Monica Street, Maesteg CF34 9AY
Ages: 3-11 years Number On Roll: 224
Required from September 2021
Leadership scale L12 – L18
Are you a committed practising Catholic who has Gospel values at the heart of everything you do?
Are you highly motivated, with proven leadership skills and successful experiences of school improvement and change?
Are you ready to confidently embrace the challenges and opportunities facing the education sector, with special focus for the new curriculum for Wales 2022?
The Governing Body of St Mary’ and St Patrick’s are seeking to appoint a Headteacher who answers yes to each of these questions and who will strengthen our ambitious and committed leadership team.
St Mary’s and St Patrick’s is a happy and successful school with a strong Catholic ethos. It is a place where children are developed spiritually, morally and academically. We offer a warm and welcoming family environment where everybody is valued and part of the team. The school successfully achieved the Wellbeing Award for Schools and was recognised for the excellent practice taking place.
Wellbeing Award for Schools February 2021
‘The school offers a supportive and caring environment to the children, staff, parents and the whole school community. It needs to be praised for the work it has done in embedding positive structures and developing strong relationships that support mental health and wellbeing and enables children to learn and flourish. ‘
The town of Maesteg is nestled in the heart of the Llynfi Valley, surrounded by mountains, Forest Parks, and the historic village of Llangynwyd. The town is rich in heritage, with something of interest for everyone, and lies within easy reach of both Cardiff, Swansea, and the Glamorgan Coastline.
The Governing Body and staff at St Mary’s and St Patrick’s ensure that Christ is at the centre of our learning and integrate the Gospel Values and Virtues into everything we do. Liturgical celebrations and daily prayers are at the heart of school life and we focus on the development of children’s religious literacy and spirituality. We achieve high standards in all that we do and help children to understand how the Gospels relate to our lives today.
We are looking for a Headteacher who:
- Is a committed, practising Catholic, who will continue to support the Catholic ethos of our school and maintain strong links with our parish
- Has the vision and drive to promote and inspire the highest standards of teaching and learning based on pedagogical research and evidence-based practice
- Will lead by example and provide inspiration and motivation to the school community
- Is a strategic thinker, with the vision to achieve excellence, and has the ability to both identify and sustain areas for improvement
- Is fully aware of the new Curriculum in Wales, developments in Welsh education and with a clear vision of Catholic Education
- Will continue to promote a strong sense of engagement with children, parents, parish and the wider community
- Has high expectations and aspirations and will promote and celebrate the achievements of all our children.
Our children are looking for a headteacher who:
- Is kind, caring and helpful
- Is a happy person who brings the sunshine
- Helps us be the best we can be
- Encourages us to use our ideas to plan our curriculum and love of learning
- Plans fun educational experiences
- Lets us be involved in making decisions for our school
- Celebrates the Catholic traditions and life of the school
- Celebrates Welsh culture and the Welsh language
- Supports extra-curricular activities, music and sports
In return we can offer you:
- A warm and welcoming school community
- Happy, enthusiastic and caring children
- A dedicated team of staff who are committed to supporting and developing the school
- An effective, supportive and active Governing Body willing to support your personal development
- An exciting opportunity to lead a Foundation Phase Hub School
Please look at our website for more information about us https://stmaryandstpatrick.co.uk/ or on twitter @stmarypatrick
Closing date: 12th April 2021 at 12noon
Shortlisting: 14th April 2021
Interviews to be held: 22nd /23rd April 2021
Applicants must use the current CES application forms (Senior Leadership 2020) which is attached. Completed applications should be emailed to Miss Fear, Clerk to the Governing Body, email@example.com
The successful candidate will be expected to sign the Catholic Education Service Contract of Employment.
St Mary’s and St Patrick’s Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and young people and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitments. Appointments to this post will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and satisfactory references, which will be taken up for all shortlisted candidates prior to interview. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.